Boer War Carved Pipe

Discussions related to the conflict between the British Empire and two Boer states that took place between 1899 and 1902.
User avatar
Phil
Founder
Founder
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am
Commendations: 20

Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:44 pm

A relative I was visiting showed me, and allowed me to photograph, a pipe carved by another relative of mine during his time in the Boer War. Another research task to undertake, in the meantime, a fantastic piece that I thought I'd share.
Boer_War_Pipe.jpg
Boer_War_Pipe.jpg (984.42 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
I've transcribed a number of the carvings as,

Bamboo Creek
Bulawayo
Ottoshoop
Lichtenburg
Mafeking
Beira
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

User avatar
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Location: Canada
Commendations: 95

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Temujin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 am

Very cool Phil. Do you happen to know “which unit” your relative belonged to during his South African War time.

I have quite a few records of the SA units with Nominal Rolls etc that I can research

User avatar
Phil
Founder
Founder
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am
Commendations: 20

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Phil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:53 am

Temujin wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 am
Very cool Phil. Do you happen to know “which unit” your relative belonged to during his South African War time.

I have quite a few records of the SA units with Nominal Rolls etc that I can research
Thanks, but I think I've got some digging to do before anyone would be able to help. This belonged to a Great Uncle whose relation is unclear and for whom I only have a partial name without confirmed spelling. If I manage to solidify some of this basic info I'll post it here.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

User avatar
Phil
Founder
Founder
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am
Commendations: 20

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Phil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 am

I've made a little headway. The owner of this pipe was, Charles "Chas" Edward Tucker, also known as Troop (or Uncle Troop) to some. The trouble is that he was born in 1895 so he could not have participated in the Second Boer War. His WWI record is here,

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op= ... B9807-S037

His father, Charles Edgar Tucker (married to Clara Ann Offer), would have been of age for the Second Boer War. If you come across any mention of that name I would be interested. At this point though, the pipe may have been given to Chas by anyone, or even purchased.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

User avatar
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Location: Canada
Commendations: 95

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Temujin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am

Phil wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:53 am
Temujin wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:30 am
Very cool Phil. Do you happen to know “which unit” your relative belonged to during his South African War time.

I have quite a few records of the SA units with Nominal Rolls etc that I can research
Thanks, but I think I've got some digging to do before anyone would be able to help. This belonged to a Great Uncle whose relation is unclear and for whom I only have a partial name without confirmed spelling. If I manage to solidify some of this basic info I'll post it here.
Roger Phil. Just to help, if possible, here’s Official Reports of Canadian involvement in the South African war. Information is quite detailed and could be helpful. ONE of the Canadian Units that went thru some of the towns or places on your “pipe” was “C” Battery, RCA

Further Supplementary Report: Organization, Equipment, Despatch and Service of Canadian Contingents During the War in South Africa, 1899-1902


https://ia803003.us.archive.org/11/item ... a_0162.pdf

I also have nominal rolls of ALL the Canadian Units that served in South Africa if that my help in the future.

Cheers
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Phil (Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am)

BFBSM
Meritorious
Meritorious
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm
Location: Australia
Commendations: 15

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by BFBSM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am

Phil,

I have just had a quick look at the database here https://www.angloboerwar.com, and was only able to find two possibilities:
Tucker Charles 248 Acting Corporal 1st Battalion
Source: Nominal roll in WO127 Imperial Light Horse
Tucker Charles Edwain 28238 Trooper Source: QSA Medal Rolls 82th Company, 21st Btn, IY
I have discounted any of the others, possibly erroneously, due to the ’Troop’ reference which to me indicates cavalry.

I include the image of the medal roll entry for the only C. E. Tucker shown on Ancestry, which equates to 28238 Charles Edwain Tucker above.

Image
These users commended the author BFBSM for the post:
Phil (Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:17 am)

User avatar
Phil
Founder
Founder
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am
Commendations: 20

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Phil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am

BFBSM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am
Phil,

I have just had a quick look at the database here https://www.angloboerwar.com, and was only able to find two possibilities:
Tucker Charles 248 Acting Corporal 1st Battalion
Source: Nominal roll in WO127 Imperial Light Horse
Tucker Charles Edwain 28238 Trooper Source: QSA Medal Rolls 82th Company, 21st Btn, IY
I have discounted any of the others, possibly erroneously, due to the ’Troop’ reference which to me indicates cavalry.

I include the image of the medal roll entry for the only C. E. Tucker shown on Ancestry, which equates to 28238 Charles Edwain Tucker above.

Image
Strange, I wonder where they got the Edwain from, as it only lists C. E. Tucker.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

User avatar
Phil
Founder
Founder
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am
Commendations: 20

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Phil » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 am

My family has uncovered this postcard which seems to be of a soldier with a Boer War uniform with the inscription (as far as I can tell),
With
Kindes Regards
From Jess & Sam
Betts
Aug 12 - 19
Now, 1919 seems a little late to be sending Boer War postcards and I'm not sure if Jess & Sam are the wife and son or wife and husband. Unfortunately I'm also not aware of the Betts relationship to my own family tree.
1.jpg
1.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (104.61 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

User avatar
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Location: Canada
Commendations: 95

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Temujin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 pm

BFBSM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am
Phil,

I have just had a quick look at the database here https://www.angloboerwar.com, and was only able to find two possibilities:
Tucker Charles 248 Acting Corporal 1st Battalion
Source: Nominal roll in WO127 Imperial Light Horse
Tucker Charles Edwain 28238 Trooper Source: QSA Medal Rolls 82th Company, 21st Btn, IY
I have discounted any of the others, possibly erroneously, due to the ’Troop’ reference which to me indicates cavalry.

I include the image of the medal roll entry for the only C. E. Tucker shown on Ancestry, which equates to 28238 Charles Edwain Tucker above.

Image
Hey Phil.....this is a tough one, as their seem to be LOT’s of Charles Tuckers who were in South Africa.......but I only found 2 “CE Tucker’s”

The first is the one you found but his regiment is: 82nd Company Imperial Yeomanry (21st Battalion Sharpshooters)

The second is a “CE Tucker” who was with the Army Ordnance Corps.........records I’ve attached below
7794B147-756F-4407-AB18-634DCB3BFAA8.jpeg
7794B147-756F-4407-AB18-634DCB3BFAA8.jpeg (628.46 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
But as you said, this may not be him, he may have purchased as a souvenir

I did check the Canadian Records......lots of “Tucker’s” but NO “Charles” or “CE Tucker’s” in the LAC files

Cheers

User avatar
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Location: Canada
Commendations: 95

Re: Boer War Carved Pipe

Post by Temujin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:04 pm

A little more info on the 82nd Coy Imperial Yeomanry

21st Battalion (2nd Sharpshooters), raised Jan. 1901; embarked for South Africa Mar. 1901; perpetuated Aug. 1901 by 3rd County of London (Sharpshooters) Imperial Yeomanry.

80th (Sharpshooters) Company, raised 1901
81st (Sharpshooters) Company, raised 1901
82nd (Sharpshooters) Company, raised 1901
83rd (Sharpshooters) Company, raised 1901


Source:
https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-infor ... ?showall=1

Post Reply