Canadian Soldiers in Horbury, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 106

Re: Canadian Soldiers in Horbury, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Post by Temujin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:25 am

Phil, tried your suggestion........first I wanted to confirm the EXACT DATE and timings that Fabius III happened.....and this was hard also (not many records on line of the exercise......but I finally found it in the Queens Owns Rifles War Diaries
CECDCB96-E507-483C-A72D-51169A9D6649.jpeg
CECDCB96-E507-483C-A72D-51169A9D6649.jpeg (571.88 KiB) Viewed 294 times

So, the Exercise happened (after a delay of 24 hours) from the 3 May to 5 May 1944.......

I then went to the CVWM and CWGC sites and looked up Canadian deaths for these dates.....and their were a LOT......mostly aircrew from Bomber Command.....so I went through a LOT looking for soldiers and to see if I could check their on line records.

Again, I must have done 20 to date and NOTHING.......no one who died on exercise.....a few “possible” but not enough info to confirm. I also found more sites that confirm their were some casualties (due to drowning) on landing......but I haven’t been able to pin those down or find the records....

In the end, what this is telling me, is that the information of Canadian’s staying at Horbury, then going on exercise and all being killed does NOT seem plausible.......it could have been other units.....like the American’s on Exercise Tiger.....but having said that, their also doesn’t seem to be any record of troops in Horbury.......except the Sigs School right next door at Ossett.....

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 22

Re: Canadian Soldiers in Horbury, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Post by Phil » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:57 pm

I agree, it seems unlikely that Canadians went from Horbury to Slapton. I didn't see any killed in the QOR diaries that I came across either.

What is a little concerning to me is how difficult it is to determine the names of Canadians killed in Fabius, or any training related to Tiger and yet there's a specific role of honour for US troops killed in this exercise.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.