RCASC 64th army transport company Netherlands

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
StanDutchman
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 0

Re: RCASC 64th army transport company Netherlands

Post by StanDutchman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:29 am

Phil wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am
The man you're inquiring about seems not to have joined No 64 Army Transport Company until July of 1945. The entry "SOS to 64 Cdn A Tpt Coy RCASC" indicates that's when he joined that company. SOS stands for Struck Off Service, or ceased to become the responsibility of one unit to become that of another.

I did find this account indicating that No 64 Army Transport Company was operating in Belgium in November of 1944.

https://commonwealth-adegem.com/simmer-john-ralph
Wounded on November 8, 1944 and died as a result on November 12, 1944. Gun shot wound lower right abdomen.

Private Livingstone, J.J. H/77858, 64 Army Transport Company, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps having been duly sworn states:
Our platoon was parked at the city park in Gent, Belgium waiting to be unloaded, when a 3rd Division lorry approached with some soldiers. These soldiers wished to sell us some enemy weapons. Pte Pearce of our platoon bought a pistol but the safety catch was not working. I showed Pte Pearce, Pte Simmer and Pte O'Brien my German weapon and demonstrated how the safety catch worked. I thought that it was not loaded and I had the magazine in my pocket. I demonstrated with the safety catch applied, then I released the safety catch and pulled the trigger causing the weapon to fire. Pte Simmer crouched down clutching his stomach and I realized that I had hit him. I yelled for help and went to find an empty lorry to take him to hospital, in the meantime someone hailed on ambulance that was passing and Pte Simmer was taken to hospital.
Hello Phil,

Thanks for your answer, that's some nice information.
So when the Canadians came to Holland this person was still in the 85 bridge company? Do you know anything about them maybe? In July 1945 the war in our country was already done. So he was set over from 85 bridge company to 64 Transport company in 1945 July.
I would love to find out more about this persons time in our country.

Stan

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:40 am

I also found this death notice, which may, or may not, be the man in question. It lists this man as age 32, though born on March 30, 1923, Bruce Ashton Jermey would have been 33. Still a potential match.

https://news.ourontario.ca/Barrie/1083895/data?n=6
Jermey, Bruce (Died)
appeared in Barrie Examiner, 16 Jul 1956, p. 1

Media Type
Genealogical Resource

Item Type
Death notices

Notes
Aged 32
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 am

From WW2Talk indicating that 85 Bridging Company was near Geel and then Bourg-Leopold in 1944, though it would have to be confirmed.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/85 ... 944.86977/
I was wondering if anybody could help me find the war diaries of the 85 Bridging Company, RCASC for september 44, prior to move to Bourg Leopold.

They were working on a Bailey bridge over the Albert Canal near Geel, private Henri Giroux died during this.
Casualty Details | CWGC

I hope to find some mentioning in WD or appendixes, but I can't find them. Even BAC/LAC mailed me they don't have them....

Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

StanDutchman
Assistant
Assistant

Post by StanDutchman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 am

Phil wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 am
From WW2Talk indicating that 85 Bridging Company was near Geel and then Bourg-Leopold in 1944, though it would have to be confirmed.

I was wondering if anybody could help me find the war diaries of the 85 Bridging Company, RCASC for september 44, prior to move to Bourg Leopold.

They were working on a Bailey bridge over the Albert Canal near Geel, private Henri Giroux died during this.
Casualty Details | CWGC

I hope to find some mentioning in WD or appendixes, but I can't find them. Even BAC/LAC mailed me they don't have them....

That's some interesting information, did they also move up to Holland? I live in the norther part and I am sure the first canadian army was active in my area. I am not sure if 85th bridge company also moved up to Holland.

I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Stan

StanDutchman
Assistant
Assistant

Post by StanDutchman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am

Phil wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 am

Casualty Details | CWGC

If you look at the paybook it tells he was in Belgium around 5/2/'45 so I don't really know if he went to Holland or not, is there any way to find out?

Stan

Phil
Founder
Founder

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm

StanDutchman wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am
If you look at the paybook it tells he was in Belgium around 5/2/'45 so I don't really know if he went to Holland or not, is there any way to find out?

Stan
The War Diaries for each unit he was with would have that information. Many War Diaries are not available online though, I'm not sure at this point if these are. Those that aren't must be requested from Library and Archives Canada, or a researcher can be hired to take on that task.

His service file may contain further info, it may not. It can also be requested from the same institution or via a researcher.

Another approach would be to try to get in contact with his family, if any exists.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Phil wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am
The man you're inquiring about seems not to have joined No 64 Army Transport Company until July of 1945. The entry "SOS to 64 Cdn A Tpt Coy RCASC" indicates that's when he joined that company. SOS stands for Struck Off Service, or ceased to become the responsibility of one unit to become that of another.

I did find this account indicating that No 64 Army Transport Company was operating in Belgium in November of 1944.

https://commonwealth-adegem.com/simmer-john-ralph
Wounded on November 8, 1944 and died as a result on November 12, 1944. Gun shot wound lower right abdomen.

Private Livingstone, J.J. H/77858, 64 Army Transport Company, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps having been duly sworn states:
Our platoon was parked at the city park in Gent, Belgium waiting to be unloaded, when a 3rd Division lorry approached with some soldiers. These soldiers wished to sell us some enemy weapons. Pte Pearce of our platoon bought a pistol but the safety catch was not working. I showed Pte Pearce, Pte Simmer and Pte O'Brien my German weapon and demonstrated how the safety catch worked. I thought that it was not loaded and I had the magazine in my pocket. I demonstrated with the safety catch applied, then I released the safety catch and pulled the trigger causing the weapon to fire. Pte Simmer crouched down clutching his stomach and I realized that I had hit him. I yelled for help and went to find an empty lorry to take him to hospital, in the meantime someone hailed on ambulance that was passing and Pte Simmer was taken to hospital.
Phil is correct, he ORIGINAL joined the 85th Bridging Company, RCASC in 18 Jun 1943, and was with them unit 1945 when he was posted to 64 Army Transport Company…….so the unit he “most” served with during the War was the 85th Bridging Company, RCASC

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 pm

This is probably what you need……if you can find a copy

Regimental History: 85 Canadian Bridge Company: June 1941-1945

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm

This film has vehicle of the 85th Cdn Bridging Company in it…….RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING, look for trucks passing under what looks like a Rail Bridge……you can see the Serial and you can see them hauling bridge equipment and boats etc

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060023979

StanDutchman
Assistant
Assistant

Post by StanDutchman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm

Temujin wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:16 pm
This film has vehicle of the 85th Cdn Bridging Company in it…….RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING, look for trucks passing under what looks like a Rail Bridge……you can see the Serial and you can see them hauling bridge equipment and boats etc

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... 1060023979
Thanks for the help from both of you, I really appreciate it a lot. It's awesome to see this film, I hope to find more about the 85 bridge company. It always nice to find a named jacket and do some research on it. I hope to find some relatives of this person, I found some people from Barrie (close to the place he lived and most likely where his grave is now) with the same surname. I contacted them and I am waiting for a response.

Stan