Lieut. R.C. Hall, Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
klambie
Associate
Associate
Commendations: 7

Re: Lieut. R.C. Hall, Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders

Post by klambie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:13 pm

The appendix will be included in the original diary, it's typical for appendices, maps, airphotos etc. not to be copied in favour of just the 'narrative' as at LMH. You will probably need to visit LAC or find a researcher to copy it.

Here's the LAC record for the War Diary:
http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_arch ... 894,927896

I think the reference RG-24 Vol 17512 would also work to order it on-site

Brian Reid in 'No Holding Back: Op Totalize" mentions two other references:
DHH 145.2Q1011(D8) 'Account by Maj Cavanaugh, A Coy, Camerons of Canada of the attack on Fontenay-le-Marmion night 7/8 Aug 1944' given to Capt Engler 10 Aug 44
and
DHH Hist Sect Report No. 65, 26. 'Account by Maj Cavanaugh' 145.2Q1011(D5), 'Account of the attack by the Camerons of Canada on Fontenay-le-Marmion night 7/8 Aug 1944' given by Lt John Graham to Capt Engler 11 Aug 44

Historical reports from the Dept of History and Heritage are now held at LAC. They are a bit of a bear to locate, though there is a finding aid that helps a bit. A researcher might also be able to dig them out. You might try DHH to see if they have kept copies and might provide them to you, though my dated experience with them is that they weren't keen on remote research.
Kevin Lambie
www.reginarifles.ca

RCEME-Workshop
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 0

Post by RCEME-Workshop » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Temujin and Kevin, thank you both very much for the detailed information you’ve provided. I’ve had an initial look but will go through it more carefully in the near future.

RCEME-Workshop
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 0

Post by RCEME-Workshop » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 pm

I now have a copy of the book by Brian Reid and look forward to reading it. I’ve made attempts to track down a copy of the 'Account by Maj Cavanaugh, A Coy, Camerons of Canada of the attack on Fontenay-le-Marmion night 7/8 Aug 1944', at LAC but if it’s available online, my ability to look for it was not equal to the task.

What I have done, however, is send a digitization request to the Laurier Military History group to see if they may be willing and able to digitize the Appendix 2 that I referred to in my original post.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:13 am

RCEME-Workshop wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 pm
I now have a copy of the book by Brian Reid and look forward to reading it. I’ve made attempts to track down a copy of the 'Account by Maj Cavanaugh, A Coy, Camerons of Canada of the attack on Fontenay-le-Marmion night 7/8 Aug 1944', at LAC but if it’s available online, my ability to look for it was not equal to the task.

What I have done, however, is send a digitization request to the Laurier Military History group to see if they may be willing and able to digitize the Appendix 2 that I referred to in my original post.
Another options is to send a digitizations request to Heritage Canadiana. They do take requests for digitizing records BUT they would not just digitized the pages you requested.....they would digitize the ENTIRE BOX that the records are located in (which benefits everyone looking for more records).

Contact link below:

https://www.crkn-rcdr.ca/en/contact/contact_crkn