Halifax - LW595 .... Confusion

Discussions related to the second world war.
georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Halifax - LW595 .... Confusion

Post by georgetanksherman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm

While researching RCAF Squadron 432, I came across for the third time Halifax LW595, the first time I came across this aircraft was researching RCAF Squadron 415 :

It suffered damage on 1st May 1944 while with 432 Squadron, and Cat.A/FA damage was the probably assessment, it was repaired on site at East Moor and later transferred to 415 Squadron at East Moor in July 1944. It was recorded as missing, Cat.E(m), on 29th July 1944 following an operational flight when it crashed near Stotel, Germany. Seven of the then crew were sadly killed while one was taken PoW.

Then I came across the same aircraft with the 432 Squadron:
Aircraft failed to return from operations to Freidrichshafen, Germany. 4 Crew evaded capture, 1 P.O.W., 2 K.I.A. (See Below)

And then to top it off the two crew members K.I.A. are assigned to RCAF 434 Squadron according to CWGC
Nav: F/O J. Burrows, J/22599, RCAF, Mount Royal, Province of Quebec, Canada. 434 Sqdn.
Gnr: P/O P. Driver, J/85612, RCAF, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 434 Sqdn.

I do know that when the squadron lost an aircraft the aircraft replacing the lost aircraft would pick up the Squadron code Letters, but did that also apply to the aircraft serial numbers ????

Any help in clearing this up will truly be appreciated !!!!!

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Re: Halifax - LW595 .... Confusion

Post by georgetanksherman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:37 am

Mystery solved: through all the typo's and unreadable pages, I found a story trying to solve the misinformation on above

Halifax, LW-592, RCAF 432 Squadron, April 27/28, 1944

Aircraft took off from RAF East Moor on mission to Montzen, Germany, aircraft failed to return from this operation. Aircraft was shot down by a night fighter and crashed near Sur-les-Bois, Near Engis (3km NW), Belgium

Crew:
Pilot: P/O H. Whaley, RCAF, Survived, evaded capture
Flt Eng: Sgt A. Phillips, RAF, Survived, captured, P.O.W.
Nav: F/O J. Burrows, J/22599, RCAF, Mount Royal, Quebec, Canada. (Killed in Action)
Bmb Aim: Flt Sgt K. Doyle, RCAF, Survived, evaded capture
Wop/Gnr: P/O D. MacDonald, RCAF, Survived, evaded capture
Gnr: P/O D. McCoy, RCAF, Survived, evaded capture
Gnr: P/O P. Driver, J/85612, RCAF, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Killed in Action)

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 am

Nice find! So are these the same plane? Crashed with 432 Squadron near Sur-les-Bois April 27/28 1944 (May 1 1944 by the other report?), was repaired on site at East Moor, transferred to 415 Squadron and then crashed again July 29 1944?
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by georgetanksherman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Phil, as far as I can tell, there was a paperwork issue, which is where all the confusion started, LW595 did originally belong to RCAF 432 Squadron, had a few incidents, requiring repairs, some where along the way the aircraft was transferred to RCAF 415 Squadron where it was lost in action, sadly with the whole crew.