2nd Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, RCA - Nominal Roll - 17 Sep 1941

Discussions related to the second world war.
karen@hansard.org
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 0

Re: 2nd Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment, RCA - Nominal Roll - 17 Sep 1941

Post by karen@hansard.org » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 am

hi Temujin. What would my father's military record provide - where he was stationed, any wounds...? I would be interested in pursuing so yes, please send the links. You've been so helpful. Thanks again. Karen

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:19 pm

karen@hansard.org wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 am
hi Temujin. What would my father's military record provide - where he was stationed, any wounds...? I would be interested in pursuing so yes, please send the links. You've been so helpful. Thanks again. Karen
Excellent:

First, here is the form, that gives “consent” for you to receive his records. Your father would have to sign this form, naming you as the person that can receive them.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/Generics/atip ... lingue.pdf

Then this is the form to “request” his military records. First you must agree to the disclosure page, then fill out the form. This is an “informal” request, so it doesn’t cost you anything BUT it can take longer to get the records;

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/transpare ... x?type=MIL

Now I’ll give you the link to the page that All the above came from

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/transpare ... forms.aspx

When you fill out the forms, just give as much info as you know, his full name (and I would give them his names as they spell it on some of his records I have posted also)…..his Service Number (which I found for you, and as much info as you know, for example, he was with the 1st Anti-Aircraft Battery, 2nd Cdn Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA. DO NOT WORRY, if they ask a question and you don’t know the info, just fill in as much as you know.

Then when LAC receives the info, they will do a quick search to see if they can find the right man…….IF, they have any issues, they will contact you to confirm info or if they found the right person

ALSO, FEEL FREE TO LET ME HELP, if you want

SECONDLY……..the above takes some time (over a year in my father in laws case)

IF you want to get them quicker, you can make a FORMAL REQUEST for the records…..this cost $5.00………the difference is, “by law” they have to reply within a certain amount of days (30 days) and give you the info, or any update……….BUT, be advised, this can take some time also, as all they have to do is give you an “update” every 30 days, which may say “we’re looking into it” , or ‘we found the records but they take time to digitize’ or some other “excuse”……but the records will normally come quicker……..how do I know this, I was an Executive in the Federal Government, I KNOW how it works, and how the “red tape” works

LASTLY

You asked a question about what this will give you (his records)…….it will tell you exactly all the units he belonged to, all his courses, etc etc. It “may” also give you medical info (if he was wounded or went to hospital). It WILL NOT tell you what he did in the units……just who he belonged to……

BUT, be advised, that sometimes a man would get into trouble, be fined, be sent to jail etc etc……..but this was VERY VERY COMMON for all Canadian soldiers at this time….you have to remember these people were NOT Professional soldiers, or use to the life of a soldier……so if they felt like they’d like they needed to go home to see “mom and dad” they did……..they didn’t ask permission……..which of course they NEEDED (and now they were “in trouble” when they got back)……but this was very common for the young soldiers during that time……yes they got in trouble but it wasn’t to bad…….I’ve only seen ONE file in all my time doing this that the man was “very very bad” and spent more time in Prison than in the service and was the ONLY RECORD I saw that they “kicked him out” of the Army.

I don’t think this will be your fathers case, but I always warn people, just in case something “pops up” that surprises them (but I can explain most of these types of issues)

AND LASTLY LASTLY……..military records are VERY HARD to read, as they are written in “military speak” (lots of acronyms etc etc)……I can help “decipher’ them for you if you want. I’ve done this hundreds of times for others. I can give you help with this if you wish. When you get the records, and if you want my help…….just PM me on this site

IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND anything above, again, give my a shout, I’ll help

Cheers and good luck

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Karen, just so you know “what you’ll get”…….when getting military records

This is just ONE PAGE, from a Infantry soldier’s military records in WW2……his actually records may have a few pages……or a hundred pages……

You can see, it looks like “garbley gook” ……..just line after line of things that “civilians” couldn’t possibly read…….

BUT, I see a LOT of info here, this man start in a “Holding Unit” ( a reinforcement unit)…….he was post to a French Canadian Infantry Battalion (the Regiment du Maisonneuve” (sorry for my spelling)………it tells me he was Married WITHOUT permission, and then GRANTED permission and had a daughter (I don’t think he needed PERMISSION for that)…….it tells me he was in “hospital”……he went on leave……he was “granted a pay raise”……...it tells me “he was in trouble” (a number of times) and given various sentences for going “walk about”………it tells me he went to France……..it tells me he was “wounded” or got sick………….this tells me a LOT of information……..and this is just ONE PAGE
C9655481-0FA2-4F5E-B38D-61CA2A80AD9D.jpeg
C9655481-0FA2-4F5E-B38D-61CA2A80AD9D.jpeg (1022.1 KiB) Viewed 26346 times
So, just thought I’d show you this

karen@hansard.org
Assistant
Assistant

Post by karen@hansard.org » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi Temujin,

It's been several months! Hope you're well. We celebrated my father's 100th birthday August 7th, but sadly he passed away 9 days later.

would you be able to find my father's discharge date? Ronald Delaronde # D118458.

Thank you!

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:48 pm

karen@hansard.org wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:08 pm
Hi Temujin,

It's been several months! Hope you're well. We celebrated my father's 100th birthday August 7th, but sadly he passed away 9 days later.

would you be able to find my father's discharge date? Ronald Delaronde # D118458.

Thank you!
Hi Karen. Sorry to hear about your father. I re-read the above and I do remember recommending you order his records with his permission of course….were you able to do that??? If not, now that he is past, you can only get a very small portion of his records, all his records are now closed until 20 years after his death. But if wish to still pursue getting whatever they can give you, I can get you the links and post them for you.

In respect to his discharge date, that would be in his records……I’ll take a quick search to see if I can find anything.

If you have any more questions, please let me know……OR, if you were able to order his records then I’m still here to help you decipher them

karen@hansard.org
Assistant
Assistant

Post by karen@hansard.org » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:15 pm

Hi. No, I wasn't able to get his records while he was alive. When you get a chance, if you could post the links so that I can get whatever I'm able to, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

BFBSM
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 31

Post by BFBSM » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:57 pm

Karen,

The information you need can be found here: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... ce-records