N°6 CANADIAN GENRAL HOSPITAL

Discussions related to the second world war.
Pierre-Aldric
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 0

N°6 CANADIAN GENRAL HOSPITAL

Post by Pierre-Aldric » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Hello All,

I am looking for information about the N°6 CANADIAN GENERAL HOSPITAL based in WAILLY-BEAUCAMP during operation WELLHIT (september 1944).
I read in "OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE CANADIAN MEDICAL SERVICE 1939-1945" it was based there.
Thanks in advance for the help on this topic :)

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Re: N°6 CANADIAN GENRAL HOSPITAL

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:09 am

From page 265 of Official History of The Canadian Medical Service:
ARMY AND BASE UNITS
The lack of movement during October as compared with August and September greatly simplified the problem of evacuation within army formations and allowed the larger lines of communication units to be brought again within effective range of the fighting front. At 6 October the following general hospitals were open:

Antwerp Area No. 9 British (600 beds)
No. 9 Canadian (600 beds)
No. 30 British (600 beds)
No. 6 Canadian (200 beds) St. Andre
From page 80 of Rocke Robertson: Surgeon and Shepherd of Change it seems in July of 1944 No. 6 Canadian General Hospital was in Farnborough.
No6CanadianGeneralHospital-July-1944.JPG
No6CanadianGeneralHospital-July-1944.JPG (76.9 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
From page 176 of Veterans with a Vision: Canada’s War Blinded in Peace and War:
No-6-Canadian-General-Hospital.JPG
No-6-Canadian-General-Hospital.JPG (84.17 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
Major Dr. Arnold John Andrews, Second in command in 1942:
Dr. Arnold John Andrews.JPG
Dr. Arnold John Andrews.JPG (66.9 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
It seems the hospital was moved to the Netherlands by February 1945:
No 6 Canadian General Hospital Sint-Michielsgestel.JPG
No 6 Canadian General Hospital Sint-Michielsgestel.JPG (166.86 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
https://www.facestograves.nl/LifeStorie ... bio-NL.pdf

Then in April 1945 I found this,
The 8th of April 1945 was a Sunday, we had a little Service from a visiting Chaplain and then to work. I went on a detail to Antwerp docks to pick up rations, I went via; Udem, Kleve and over the Maas at the Walsh Bridge - one of the many Bailey bridges which the engineers are so skillful at building, then on to Turnhout in Belgium and so soon to the docks. I came back the same route and when I got back it had turned midnight, I had covered 280 miles, what a way to fetch a tin of milk. A couple of days later we went with four wagons, through Udem to s'Hertogenbosch where we loaded up the No 6 Canadian General Hospital. I was loaded with medicines, bandages, stretchers and filing cabinets etc, on the return journey I was accompanied by a young Canadian doctor from Toronto. We returned over the pontoon bridge at Gennep. crossing the river at Emmerich and up into northern Holland, to a town called Ootmarsum, this part of Holland has only been freed about a week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2people ... 1182.shtml
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.