Juno75 Recommendations

Discussions regarding anything and everything related to Canada's military contributions.
GDOsborne
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 2

Juno75 Recommendations

Post by GDOsborne » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi All,

I am going to the Juno75 ceremony in Normandy this June (registered). I wasn't sure where to post this - and hopefully this isn't discussed elsewhere, but I am hoping someone might have some general recommendations that might be helpful. I'm going alone and planning from scratch... I've also never been there.

I'm taking the ferry from Portsmouth-Caen on the 3rd (Monday) and then doing a day tour on the 4th (leaving from Bayeux).

Here's the official event schedule from veterans affairs Canada:
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... nts-europe
June 5, 2019 - Ceremony at Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery
June 6, 2019 - Ceremony at Juno Beach Centre
June 7, 2019 - Ceremony at Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery

I was originally planning to find something right at Juno, but now think it's better to be around Bayeux. I'm not really clear how accessible things are in the area... And how hard it is to get around... Is a car absolutely mandatory or can you generally get around with trains/buses? Where do the majority of people end up staying that go?

Here are the listed contacts for accommodations by VAC:
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembra ... /qanda#q11

I will probably finalize everything in the next week or so, and recognize this is somewhat last minute. But if anyone has any thoughts (even if just general) I would really appreciate it!

Regards,
GO

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: Juno75 Recommendations

Post by Temujin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 am

Sorry, I haven’t been their for years (and I drove).......the Juno Beach Center can help you with all the travel planning on their website. Here’s a link to their travel section

https://www.junobeachtravel.com/

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Re: Juno75 Recommendations

Post by Phil » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 pm

I was there in 2017, but with a bus tour group, so I can't speak to ease of travel locally otherwise. I can say that we stayed at the Hotel Novotel in Bayeux, which I don't have much to say about either good or bad, but it is within walking distance of the Battle of Normandy Museum. We visited the following spots on day trips driving to and from.

Day 1, Bayeux, France

Pegasus Bridge
Abbaye D’Ardenne

Day 2, Bayeux, France

Battle of Normandy Museum
Juno Beach, Juno Beach Centre
Canada House (Queens Own Rifle House) - Bernieres-sur-Mer
DD Tank Memorial
Beny-sur-Mer Canadian Military Cemetery

Day 3, Bayeux, France

Pointe du Hoc
Omaha Beach Memorial (Les Braves)
Disembarkation Musee, Mulberry Harbours
Colleville-Sur-Mer American Military Cemetery
Longues-Sur-Mer German battery (La Chaos)
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.