My grandfathers CEF (Saskatchewan) memories of WW1

Take a minute to introduce yourself and let us know what brought you here.
Andyanr
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 1

My grandfathers CEF (Saskatchewan) memories of WW1

Post by Andyanr » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:48 am

Greetings from the North of England, U.K.! After his service with the CEF, ‘Ernie’ Russell decided to return to England from his homestead near Tisdale to marry the Red Cross nurse who tended his wound acquired in the trenches. Hence I am here in England and most of my cousins are in Canada. His hand written manuscript of his experiences were lost for over 25 years, but now I am doing something with them! It seems very strange getting this text ready for print nearly 110 years on, but I am part of the last generation to have known him (and as a child being allowed to put my fist into the part of his shoulder damaged by shrapnel!). I have had his experiences illustrated. Happy to get peoples thoughts and advice on the best places to get the book reviewed, display copies and the best people to link with. We are making two trips to Canada this year and next to present copies to our cousins in Vancouver and Tisdale. Amazingly, the daughter of Ernie’s brothers (also served in CEF and survived) is still alive. I am fortunate to have found this forum. Below is one of the pen and ink illustrations of my grandfather Ernest William Russell from a photo taken when on one of his return trips to Canada (one one the flights, a pilot recognised his CEF lapel badge and wanted to shake the hand of an old soldier 😀). Thanks from Andrew Russell
IMG_1557.jpeg
IMG_1557.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 13644 times

BFBSM
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 31

Re: My grandfathers CEF (Saskatchewan) memories of WW1

Post by BFBSM » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:56 pm

Andrew,

You could offer a review copy to the Great War Group, and/or the Western Front Association. Both organisations have members throughout the world.

Andyanr
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 1

Post by Andyanr » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:08 pm

Thanks, just the sort of information I need 😀
These users commended the author Andyanr for the post:
BFBSM (Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:55 pm)

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Post by Phil » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forums! Is the book in print, print-on-demand, or available for retail sales already or are you look for avenues in that regard?
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.