Greetings from Warwickshire

Take a minute to introduce yourself and let us know what brought you here.
georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Re: Greetings from Warwickshire

Post by georgetanksherman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm

Daz,

Just wanted to let you know about Sgt Richard Lewis "Dick" BARGER and Sgt L J RICHARD, The two individuals seem to be the same person, according to family and Aircrew Remembered ... http://aircrewremembered.com/jenkinson-j.html ... #5) the info is down towards the bottom of the page.
10601064 Sgt Richard Lewis "Dick" BARGER who was badly injured on operations with 78 Squadron and sent to RAF Holme on the 14th August 1943 to recover from his wounds (compression fracture of the spine). He survived the war and returned to the UK on a number of occasions to meet with his old crew mates; one of whom I was fortunate enough to become friends with and kept prolific notes on his time in the RAF including his time as a POW. Dick Barger transferred from the RCAF into the USAAF at the 12th Replacement Depot at Chorley in Lancashire but returned to 78 Squadron to complete his tour of operations.

Two others I have less details for, the first is Air Gunner Sergeant W KENT who joined 78 Squadron on the 29th April 1943 and left on the 1st June 1943, the entry in the Squadron ORB simply says to US Forces. The other is another Air Gunner Sgt L J RICHARD but I have no other details on him.

78SqnHistory
Endowed
Endowed
Commendations: 1

Post by 78SqnHistory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 pm

George

Here is another one for you

R104883 Sgt William James ASHWORTH RCAF the son of Rev WJ Ashworth of Auburndale, Florida, USA. He arrived at No. 78 Squadron in October 1942 and survived the ditching of Halifax EY-Q on return from ops to Duisburg on the night of the 20/21 December 1942. There was only one other survivor. Ashworth remained with 78 Squadron and returned to operations, before he was posted to RAF Station Linton on the 1st May 1943.

Regards

Daz

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by georgetanksherman » Sun May 30, 2021 11:46 pm

Thank you for the info on Sgt W.J. Ashworth, if you know if he was posted to a non-flying job at RAF Station Linton, or was it a transfer to another Squadron ??? I see that there were a couple of RCAF Squadrons stationed there !

78SqnHistory
Endowed
Endowed

Post by 78SqnHistory » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 am

George,

He was sent to Linton Station having completed 16 operations including the ditching in the sea of his aircraft on the night of 20/21 December 1942. I have not been able to find out what he went on to do.

Regards

Daz

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by georgetanksherman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Thanks for the Info Daz, I also found

Sgt T.A. Sherman, RCAF, (USA) August 17, 1941, R.A.F. No. 78 Sqdn, A.W. Whitley – Z6577, From Springfield, Ohio, USA, Killed in Action

Aircraft on bombing mission to Koln, Germany, was caught by searchlights and intercepted by night fighter flying a Bf 110 from Venlo airfield. The aircraft crashed on the west bank of the Juliana Kanaal at Ohe en Lak, 14km SW of Roermond, Holland. Sadly with the loss of the entire crew.

78SqnHistory
Endowed
Endowed

Post by 78SqnHistory » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:03 am

George, thanks, we discussed Sherman at the start of this thread. I think I have found another American in the name of Arthur Frederick WORRALL. I am in touch with a lady whose father served as a Flight Engineer and always used to bring two of his crew home on leave with him, one was a Canadian from Toronto by the name of Townsend and the other was a New Yorker called 'Art' - Arthur Worrall. She remembers that her father kept in touch with both men after the war and that they regularly sent her presents, containing clothes, toys and chocolate. Sadly I haven't been able to track him down. He was commissioned as J95035 and his enlisted number was R156176. I have a photo of the crew but nothing else.

Regards

Daz

78SqnHistory
Endowed
Endowed

Post by 78SqnHistory » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:26 am

George,

another one identified today:

J19671 Morris William BENTSON DFC a pilot who served with No. 78 Squadron from April to October 1944 and completed 40 ops. His death certificate shows that he was born in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, USA on the 17th December 1917 to Jaeger and Josephine Bentson. His father was of Norwegian decent.

Morris lived in Saskatchewan and had served in the Regina Rifles prior to joining the RCAF. He died 23rd February 1955.

Hope its of interest

Daz

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by georgetanksherman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 pm

Daz,

Thank You for the info Morris William Bentson, I did not have him in my records,
J19671 Morris William BENTSON DFC a pilot who served with No. 78 Squadron from April to October 1944 and completed 40 ops. His death certificate shows that he was born in Lacrosse, Wisconsin, USA on the 17th December 1917 to Jaeger and Josephine Bentson. His father was of Norwegian decent.
Still trying to find out why USAAF,1st Lt Charles Elmo Hayden was taken to RAF Holne (Sickness)

Appreciate all your help, Cheers

George

78SqnHistory
Endowed
Endowed

Post by 78SqnHistory » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am

George,

another one identified today in the ORB of one of the Blind Approach Training Flights:

112298 FO Roy Charles MUNSON DFC

Relinquished his commission in the RAFVR on appointment to a commission in the U.S.A.A.C. wef 09/12/42

His DFC was gazetted 4th September 1942 with No. 150 Squadron

One night in August 1942, this officer was captain of an aircraft detailed to attack Mainz. Whilst crossing the enemy coast on the outward flight, the aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire, sustaining damage to the port wing and the fuselage: several electric circuits also failed. In spite of this, Pilot Officer Munson resolutely flew on to his target, where he pressed home his attack. On the return journey his aircraft was attacked by a hostile fighter. The rear gunner was killed, the wireless operator wounded and the aircraft sustained further damage. The starboard engine was hit and various instruments, including the airspeed indicator, were put out of action. The controls became temporarily jammed but, after a great effort, Pilot Officer Munson managed to free them and decided to make an attempt to fly the aircraft back to this county. He eventually reached the English coast where he was compelled to effect a crash landing. This he did successfully in spite of difficulties. By his skill, courage and determination, this officer surmounted a most perilous situation, thereby safeguarding the lives of his crew and much valuable equipment.

Hope this is of use to you.

Daz

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by georgetanksherman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:47 pm

Daz,

Thank You for the heads up on F/O Munson, I did not have him, so that gives me some research to do.

Not sure if you can help me with this one, but I found a couple of Americans that were flying the Vickers Warwick aircraft, I think it started life as a bomber, but was turned into a transport aircraft, but looking at a picture of a Warwick, it looks exactly like a Vickers Wellington. Just thought I would see if you knew the difference.

What I found on F/O Munson

Wellington X3744 took off from RAF Snaith, Yorkshire, on the night of 11/12th August 1942 detailed to bomb Mainz, Germany. X3744 was one of 8 aircraft from the Squadron detailed to attack the target. Cloud was 5/10 tenths and full advantage was taken of the cover available on the return journey, but X3744 was attacked by a night fighter and the Rear Gunner (Flight Sergeant Bell) was killed instantly and the WAG (Sergeant Beattie) was severely injured. Extensive damage was done to the aircraft which had been hit by anti-aircraft fire on the outward journey. The Pilot was able to reach the coast with difficulty after which he was guided by searchlight units to RAF Coltishall, Norfolk, where the aircraft crashed on landing.

Crew members of X3744 were:
Pilot Officer R C Munson (RAF) (Pilot) Transferred USAAF Dec. 9, 1942
Flight Sergeant Alan Vickery Ritchie DFM (403378) (Observer) Discharged from the RAAF: 30 September 1944
Sergeant Colin Osborne Chapman DFM (403718) (Wireless Air Gunner) (Bomb Aimer) Discharged from the RAAF: 8 November 1945
Sergeant Donald William Beattie (408161) (Wireless Air Gunner)
Flight Sergeant Paton Bell (406589) (Rear Gunner)

Cheers, Again, Thanks for the info !

George