Private V.A. Moores, No 45/47 General Transport Company, RCASC

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Re: Private V.A. Moores, No 45/47 General Transport Company, RCASC

Post by Phil » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Temujin wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Just a note to you on ordering his records......be prepared to WAIT a LONG TIME......they say 6 to 9 months...BUT, I’ve been waiting almost 12 months for my own father in law’s WW2 records......I did contact LAC at 10 months....and they did confirm that my request is still being actioned, they just have so many requests (and the Federal Government cut LAC’s funding a few years ago...less staff) that it is taking longer.

Just so your aware that it will be a wait.
From my experience I've found two ways which can speed up the process. The first is to hire a researcher in Ottawa to copy the records for you (which is very affordable). The second is to make a request under the Access to Information act -- this requires them to respond to the request within 30-days. Now they have the option of responding within that 30-days with an explanation as to why it will take longer, but it seems to me that it's easier for them to just bump these Access to Information requests to the top of the queue.

More information here.
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

emcroots
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Post by emcroots » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:33 am

Holy crap! I yelled out loud seeing my late grandfather's name on that list for the 45th!! Does anyone know what towns in Netherlands they spent time in?? My parents and I are there in a couple weeks and my mom would love to see where her father was. She is so pleased to have a bit more information as we are trying to get service records also

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:43 am

emcroots wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:33 am
Holy crap! I yelled out loud seeing my late grandfather's name on that list for the 45th!! Does anyone know what towns in Netherlands they spent time in?? My parents and I are there in a couple weeks and my mom would love to see where her father was. She is so pleased to have a bit more information as we are trying to get service records also
I do NOT have that info……..but if you wish to find out, you need to read the War Diaries of the unit, which are available at LAC in Ottawa. Unfortunately they are NOT on line, so that means either visiting LAC yourself to copy the info, or hiring a researcher to do this work.

Here is a link to the War Diaries held at LAC for the 45th Transportation Company

https://recherche-collection-search.bac ... %20Company&

BUT “Cyrus” who posted info on this thread seems to know at least one town they stayed in (his post is on this thread). You can send him a PRIVATE MESSAGE thru this site to see if he can give you more info. Here is a link to Cyrus’s info and you can sent a PM from the link:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58

Again, this takes time, probably you won’t be able to get this before your parents go on their trip, but good luck

emcroots
Adjunct
Adjunct

Post by emcroots » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:04 am

Cyrus wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:12 pm
Here's some extra info.
Part of the list of unit signs in Malcolm Bellis's booklet; I've marked 45 Tpt Coy in red:
IMG_20191121_201715.jpg
Also some interesting documents out of the unit's war diary.
Document dated November 23, 1944 which mentions Corporal Moores (typo in the initials, service number is correct) and Private McKenna regarding trade tests to be taken:
19441123_45 Tpt Coy RCASC_Moores and McKenna.jpg
And one dated December 1, 1944 regarding the posting of Pvt McKenna to D-platoon
19441201_45 Tpt Coy RCASC_McKenna.jpg
Hello Cyrus, I am curious if the diary you have indicates towns in netherlands that transport Unit 45 stopped in? My grandfather Private McHenry was on it and we are headed to europe in a few weeks :)

Cyrus
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 5

Post by Cyrus » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:30 am

PM sent with info.
Last edited by Cyrus on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cyrus
Assistant
Assistant
Commendations: 5

Post by Cyrus » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:32 am

emcroots wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:04 am
Cyrus wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:12 pm
Here's some extra info.
Part of the list of unit signs in Malcolm Bellis's booklet; I've marked 45 Tpt Coy in red:
IMG_
Hello Cyrus, I am curious if the diary you have indicates towns in netherlands that transport Unit 45 stopped in? My grandfather Private McHenry was on it and we are headed to europe in a few weeks :)
I sent you a PM with some info. Hard to tell where your grandfather was exactly since the different platoons moved around a lot. Do you know in which platoon he was?

Dalifer
Adjunct
Adjunct

Post by Dalifer » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:11 pm

Hi, I am new here.
I stumbled upon this thread and noticed one photo appears to have my grandfather in it.

My grandfather was Pvt. John A. Marr and as per his military file he was with both 45 and 47 GTC RCASC.
Is it possible to get a high resolution look at the photo to get a better idea of if it is him.
Attachments
dncvbnv - Side by side with Pvt. John Marr.JPG
dncvbnv - Side by side with Pvt. John Marr.JPG (155.17 KiB) Viewed 61058 times

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Dalifer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:11 pm
Hi, I am new here.
I stumbled upon this thread and noticed one photo appears to have my grandfather in it.

My grandfather was Pvt. John A. Marr and as per his military file he was with both 45 and 47 GTC RCASC.
Is it possible to get a high resolution look at the photo to get a better idea of if it is him.
If you look back on this thread, you can find a lot more photo’s of the same picture that you indicate is John A Marr

Also, on this website, we have the nominal roll of No 45 General Transport Company, RCASC - Nominal Roll - Jun 42, that shows the name of John A Marr on the nominal roll on embarkation to England
IMG_9502.jpeg
IMG_9502.jpeg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 61054 times
Source on this website: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473

I might also suggest you send a Private Message to the originator of this thread “darmoores” who supplied all the photos on this thread. He may be able to give you a clearer copy of the photo’s of John A Marr

Dalifer
Adjunct
Adjunct

Post by Dalifer » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:01 am

Temujin wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:46 pm
Dalifer wrote:
Hi, I am new here.

If you look back on this thread, you can find a lot more photo’s of the same picture that you indicate is John A Marr

Also, on this website, we have the nominal roll of No 45 General Transport Company, RCASC - Nominal Roll - Jun 42, that shows the name of John A Marr on the nominal roll on embarkation to England

IMG_9502.jpeg

Source on this website: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473

I might also suggest you send a Private Message to the originator of this thread “darmoores” who supplied all the photos on this thread. He may be able to give you a clearer copy of the photo’s of John A Marr
Thank You! I am very new to this forum and will try to figure out how to private message the original poster of the photos.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:02 am

Dalifer wrote:

Thank You! I am very new to this forum and will try to figure out how to private message the original poster of the photos.
To send a PM to him, just go to any of his posts, and click on his name…….and it will give you the option to send him a message, which you can then do

Cheers
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Dalifer (Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:09 pm)