426 Sqdn, Halifax LW206

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: 426 Sqdn, Halifax LW206

Post by Temujin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:18 pm

georgetanksherman wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:27 pm
I am going with the assumption that because 1st Lt. Streb and 1st Lt. Shoemaker were Commanders of their group that they are the ones that were killed in the jeep along with Sgt. Marsh as there driver.

On the "Preceedings" Report form, at the top it said that there were 5 Americans killed, 1 Civilian, and then down on the bottom of the report it said that 3 Americans were killed in the jeep when a tree fell on it along with one other American was killed, and 1 Civilian, but yet there is no mention of the other 1 or 2 Americans that were killed ??? Maybe the info is not available !

But, as always, Thank You so much for the info that you were able to share ! Hope all is well, And a Very Merry Christmas to One and All, with wishes of a Safe, but Happy New Year !

Cheers
George
Well, at least we HAVE identified the Civilian. All the info I have found on Lt Shoemaker, say he was actively directing the Fire Fighting efforts at the crash site......so I’m not sure if he would have been in the Jeep. As Streb and March were both from the same unit (Military Police) it might be a good guess they may have been together.

I’ve been trying to look at any records that may give me clues into ‘who else’ may have been their. Unfortunately all US record keeping does give me a opportunity to search by “date only” so I can narrow down ALL the deaths on that day,,,,and go from their.

I don’t think any other “fire fighters” were killed, as the websites that honour US Fire personnel only mention Shoemaker......no other names.

The Civilian, wasn’t “actually” a civilian, as his records indicate he was a member of the “Home Guard”.....which was a Military Orginization made up of “usually” elderly ex-soldiers to help defend England, and all sorts of other “protection” duties. (In Canada we called them the “Veteran’s Guard of Canada”)

I will look a bit more, but thing I’m drying up my sources on this one

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to you and family George

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Re: 426 Sqdn, Halifax LW206

Post by georgetanksherman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Well, the report did say several U.S. vehicle where damaged, did not elaborate on the vehicle types so maybe the two other casualties where in one of those vehicles. But you would have thought that if you did not have an individual return to base, you would investigate what happened, as I am sure thee are tons of paperwork to be filed !