Trooper Russell R M Shier

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Attilathecanuk
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Trooper Russell R M Shier

Post by Attilathecanuk » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:38 pm

Hi, looking for some specific info on my great uncle that was KIA in Germany may 2nd 1945. His records say he was a gunner/operator in “C” squadron of 28th armoured regiment, or British Columbia Regiment. L101563 was his serial number. If possible I would like to know if there is anyway to find out the tank he was in (long shot I know!) so we can build a model in honour of, and if there is anymore data where in Germany he fell. I have his war records and have also seen the war diary of the BCR but am stuck..
Would really appreciate any help, I am amazed with the info shared in this forum! Thanks in advance

BFBSM
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 31

Re: Trooper Russell R M Shier

Post by BFBSM » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:27 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

I believe, by 1945, the BCR were using the Sherman M4 tanks,

May I suggest that you try contacting this site: https://bcregiment.com, which is the site for the regiment museum and society. I am sure they will be able to help you with some of the information you are seeking.

I would have thought, from my experience with war diaries, that they would indicate the tank model and/or number being driven. In my research, I have needed to look at information in the appendices, and even action reports for some of the detail you seek.

Good luck with your research, other members will be along, and I think they will probably have more suggestions for you.

klambie
Associate
Associate
Commendations: 7

Post by klambie » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:27 pm

The War Diary for May 45 is here, about 100 pages:
https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/ooci ... t12765/975

No specific mention of the incident that I can see in the daily narrative. Deeper in the month are Pt I Orders and casualty summaries that show one other killed and one wounded on 2 May 45.

Not terribly familiar with WDs for Armoured units, but suspect you need a bit of luck to find a specific vehicle. Equipment info must exist somewhere, possibly under one of the supporting units or the Amd Delivery Regt (Elgin Regt?). That would confirm Sherman model but probably not Squadron/Troop details.

They were working with the Argylls of Canada at the time, might be worth a look at their diary to see if anything is mentioned. Not available at the above source as far as I can tell (most Infantry Bns aren't).
Kevin Lambie
www.reginarifles.ca

Attilathecanuk
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Post by Attilathecanuk » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 pm

Wow, thanks for the info guys! This is great