Relative Research - Arthur (Art) Burns - Royal Canadian Navy

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Sapperschild
Patron
Patron
Commendations: 2

Relative Research - Arthur (Art) Burns - Royal Canadian Navy

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:59 am

We have recently been approached by a relative who has indicated an interest in researching their Dad's WWII service history. Other than his wartime medals, they do not have much information with which to start their search, including his service number. Based on help we have previously received from Moderator Temujin, we have referred them to Library and Archives Canada to begin their search for his service papers, but without his service number, it may be difficult for them to find anything. I am wondering if you have resources that would allow us to find his service number, so that they could begin their search. What we do know was that he started out with the Canadian Merchant Marine, and then transferred to the Canadian Navy and was involved in the Battle of the Atlantic during WWII. Other than that, family do not have much information. He lived most of his adult life in Chelmsford, Ontario. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide or resources you can refer us to.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: Relative Research - Arthur (Art) Burns - Royal Canadian Navy

Post by Temujin » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:27 pm

Sapperschild wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:59 am
We have recently been approached by a relative who has indicated an interest in researching their Dad's WWII service history. Other than his wartime medals, they do not have much information with which to start their search, including his service number. Based on help we have previously received from Moderator Temujin, we have referred them to Library and Archives Canada to begin their search for his service papers, but without his service number, it may be difficult for them to find anything. I am wondering if you have resources that would allow us to find his service number, so that they could begin their search. What we do know was that he started out with the Canadian Merchant Marine, and then transferred to the Canadian Navy and was involved in the Battle of the Atlantic during WWII. Other than that, family do not have much information. He lived most of his adult life in Chelmsford, Ontario. Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to provide or resources you can refer us to.
Good morning. Let me see what I can find. You do NOT need his service number to have them search for his records, as much info as possible will help them, NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, HOME TOWN (and WHERE BORN) and anything else you have (maybe his Merchant Marine ships)

In the mean time, I’ll see if I can find anything and of course post it here for you

To help find his Merchant Marine records:

Wartime records
Wartime records for the Merchant Navy, 1939 to 1947 and 1951 to 1953, are held by:

Merchant Navy Registry
Veterans Affairs Canada
PO Box 7700
Charlottetown, PE C1A 8M9

Requests should be submitted through Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) at Veterans Affairs Canada. Instructions and an online form can be found on their website: How to submit an ATIP request to Veterans Affairs Canada.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... arine.aspx

Cheers

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:38 pm

Could this be him????
88B4B53B-090C-4255-92C0-679535280845.jpeg
88B4B53B-090C-4255-92C0-679535280845.jpeg (215.88 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-post ... y&id=79003

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi Temujin. Yes! This is him. Thank you (again)!!
I will forward this and accompanying information to family. Once again, you have pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. :D
I'm sure this will get them started.
Best regards,
Janie.
Last edited by Sapperschild on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Post by georgetanksherman » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:14 pm

Temujin is GREAT for pulling that rabbit out of his hat :-)

George
These users commended the author georgetanksherman for the post:
Sapperschild (Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:22 pm)

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:16 pm

He sure is! In recent years, Temujin helped my husband and I in tracing our respective fathers' paths through wartime Europe (WWII) as well as that of an Uncle in WWI. We have had the privilege of following a portion of their routes in both NW Europe and Italy, something we would never have been able to do without the information Temujin unearthed for us, including service records and documents specific to their experience. Phil has also kindly assisted us in our search. We had the opportunity to bring our two grandsons with us to France in 2019, travelling from Normandy to Dieppe, Vimy, etc. to let them learn for themselves something of the sacrifice of their paternal grandfather and all the other brave Canadian soldiers who sacrificed so much. None of this would have been possible had it not been for the dedication and selflessness of people like Temujin and Phil. Our families are eternally grateful.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:00 pm

Thank you for the complements…….time to get a bigger hat so I can try and pull a MOOSE out of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or help deciphering records when you get them

Cheers
These users commended the author Temujin for the post:
Sapperschild (Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:23 pm)

Sapperschild
Patron
Patron

Post by Sapperschild » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:22 pm

LOL. Will do my friend.
;)