American Women in RCAF, Canadian Army, Canadian Navy

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

American Women in RCAF, Canadian Army, Canadian Navy

Post by georgetanksherman » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:40 am

Just wanted to see if there was a site to research American Women who volunteered to join the fight in WW II.

Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division, so far, I have found 33 American Women who Served

Royal Canadian Army Corp. so far, I have found 3 American Women who served

Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service, so far, I have found none

Any help or guidance to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated !

Cheers

George

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: American Women in RCAF, Canadian Army, Canadian Navy

Post by Temujin » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:11 am

georgetanksherman wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:40 am
Just wanted to see if there was a site to research American Women who volunteered to join the fight in WW II.

Royal Canadian Air Force Women's Division, so far, I have found 33 American Women who Served

Royal Canadian Army Corp. so far, I have found 3 American Women who served

Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service, so far, I have found none

Any help or guidance to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated !

Cheers

George
I’ll see what I can find for you George……..some “facts” about Women in the Canadian Forces during WW2
  • The Canadian Women's Army Corps (CWACS) had 21,600 members
  • The Women's Division, Royal Canadian Air Force (WDs) had 17,400 members
  • The Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (Wrens) had 7,100 members
  • 4,480 Nursing Sisters (as Canadian military nurses were known) served in the war - 3,656 in the Canadian Women's Army Corps, 481 in the Women's Division of the Royal Canadian Air Force and 343 in the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service. Many of these women found themselves within range of enemy guns and some lost their lives

georgetanksherman
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 19

Post by georgetanksherman » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Appreciate the help Temujin,

I have a friend over in Italy that sponsors the Allied Memorial Remembrance Ride, Augostino Cassonni, in the A.M. the ride to the Rome-Scicily American War Cemetery, in the afternoon they ride to the Beach Head War Commonwealth Cemetery to pay their Respects and Remembrance. he told me that both cemeteries have female nurses buried there. (Kinda partial to nurses, my wife is a retired nurse)

As per usual the 33 RCAF and 3 Army were accidents, I came across them while looking for Fallen Aviators.

Hope all is well, waiting for the Winter to hit, we are topping out at 79 deg. F, yet again today, supposed to have a cool front tomorrow night to 73 deg F., strange weather :-)

Hope all is well ... Cheers

George

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Post by Temujin » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:49 pm

georgetanksherman wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:32 pm
Appreciate the help Temujin,

I have a friend over in Italy that sponsors the Allied Memorial Remembrance Ride, Augostino Cassonni, in the A.M. the ride to the Rome-Scicily American War Cemetery, in the afternoon they ride to the Beach Head War Commonwealth Cemetery to pay their Respects and Remembrance. he told me that both cemeteries have female nurses buried there. (Kinda partial to nurses, my wife is a retired nurse)

As per usual the 33 RCAF and 3 Army were accidents, I came across them while looking for Fallen Aviators.

Hope all is well, waiting for the Winter to hit, we are topping out at 79 deg. F, yet again today, supposed to have a cool front tomorrow night to 73 deg F., strange weather :-)

Hope all is well ... Cheers

George
So far, I haven’t been able to find ANY “American Women” who joined any of the Canadian Womens units…….but they must have, especially the Nursing Sisters??

By the way, the Canadian Nursing Sisters were “Officer” rank when they joined.

I’m well George, where I am in AZ its been “cold” for the last week and rainy, almost like I was home in Canada. We head for home next week……to the cold and SNOW……oh well, be back again soon

Cheers George and Happy New Year to you and family