Researching Romeo R. Fluery

Discussions related to researching soldiers of the second world war.
Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious
Commendations: 137

Re: Researching Romeo R. Fluery

Post by Temujin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 pm

I believe the hat badge is the North Nova Scotia Highlanders, a 3rd Division Battaion
533408B5-6922-4DDB-8AFD-DB601CBB3595.jpeg
533408B5-6922-4DDB-8AFD-DB601CBB3595.jpeg (264.92 KiB) Viewed 9208 times

klambie
Associate
Associate
Commendations: 7

Post by klambie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Certainly more digging to be done. The Buron location and his account do make you think of the advance to Carpiquet and the 12 SS counter attack, but NNSH and 8 Bde were in reserve that day. The NNSH did have a messy fight to clear the woods south of Tailleville and make an attempt at the radar station at Douvres.
Kevin Lambie
www.reginarifles.ca

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:51 pm

klambie wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Certainly more digging to be done. The Buron location and his account do make you think of the advance to Carpiquet and the 12 SS counter attack, but NNSH and 8 Bde were in reserve that day. The NNSH did have a messy fight to clear the woods south of Tailleville and make an attempt at the radar station at Douvres.

Actually the North Nova Scotia Highlanders were in the middle of the fight for Buron and further that day Kevin. The newspaper article indicate said he was wounded on the second day of the invasion, which would have been the 7th June, and the NNSH took a lot of casualties that day

Of course that is assuming that Pte Romeo Fleury was part of the Regiment that day?? The photo shows him holding a NNSH Glenngary with a NNSH hat badge on it......but that photo “may” have been taken later......I’m still trying to find his name on any unit orders etc

War Diaries link

http://lmharchive.ca/wp-content/uploads ... anders.pdf

klambie
Associate
Associate
Commendations: 7

Post by klambie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 pm

You are correct. Despite the right initial idea about Authie and Buron, I then started talking about the North Shores rather than the North Novas.
These users commended the author klambie for the post:
Temujin (Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:42 pm)
Kevin Lambie
www.reginarifles.ca

Rmarie699
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 1

Post by Rmarie699 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Wow! Thanks for this material and the niece.

Is there some way to forward all these replies to my team? Thanks.

Temujin
Meritorious
Meritorious

Post by Temujin » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Rmarie699 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Well, I might suggest your team go on line to this site. They can see everything that we have posted. As you know, access to the website is FREE, and all our help is FREE.....so they should have any problem seeing this and copying what they would like

Also, you could send them links to the pages and they can then see everything that has been posted.

Cheers, and let us know if you have more questions or need more answers

Phil
Founder
Founder
Commendations: 31

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Rmarie699 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:03 pm

I have sent you a private message with Romeo's Grandniece's contact information (with her permission), and as Temujin mentioned you can simply send your team the link to this thread from the address bar and they will be able to view all the information posted. They would need to join the site, as you have, in order to post a reply.

WARTIMES.ca is a free site and forum in all regards, though patrons can show support through donations. Individual researchers may charge for their private services and use our forums and private message platform as a method of communication, in which case that would be clear in advance of any specific research task.
These users commended the author Phil for the post:
wayne.fleury (Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm)
Phil

WARTIMES.ca
Please consider Donating in order to ensure the continued availability, maintenance and growth of WARTIMES.ca.

kevin1976
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 1

Post by kevin1976 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Romeo Fleury is also my great-uncle. He served in WW2 alongside my grandfather, Adelard Fleury.

I would be very interested in this belt, if it is available. Please contact me at kmv612@gmail.com

Thank you,

Kevin Venerus
These users commended the author kevin1976 for the post:
Phil (Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:14 pm)

DarrenMarchand
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Post by DarrenMarchand » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Romeo was my grandfather, my mom was his daughter. I'd like to have that if possible?. bunkview13@hotmail.com

wayne.fleury
Adjunct
Adjunct
Commendations: 0

Post by wayne.fleury » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:00 pm

Hey thanks to everyone digging this up... literally!

I am parsing through all of the service history as well as sending out an RFI to DoD Canada. I am crossing my fingers for a more detailed response as to who his squad mates were and if any of them were capture that day of June 7th by the Hitlerjugend.

Does anyone have a source for the Germans battle summary ?

PS I, along with Darren who posted above me are direct descendants of Romeo via his two children Michael and Cheryl respectively.

Thanks again and great work to everyone!